Saturday, August 25, 2007

Getting deeper into it

Today I changed the name of my blog to Edtechnability, the same name as my wiki. I feel myself trying to gain an online identity, I read a lot of blogs by a lot of different people I have met or been introduced to virtually or in person over the last two months. Looking back, I feel I have changed a lot, but how do I express that to others, and share my thoughts and ideas? Utilizing Web 2.0 I have created my wiki, blog, one podcast, and other things specially for my student and staff web site. I think to myself, why does anyone want to know what I am doing, and am I wasting my time expressing myself on this blog and on my wiki. I guess the reason I feel this way, is that I don't get comments on my blog, and it makes me think I am being to shallow in my thoughts and ideas. I need to dig deeper and share truly new and exciting things that people will find interesting, and in return find me interesting, in which will allow me to cerate an online identity.

My Problem:
I love everything about technology and I feel as if I only float over the cool things and then I move onto something else. I feel as if I am a "jack of all trades, and a master of none". How can my passion be everything? I can't just settle on one thing, I have to want to know everything. I look at my job and realize why I might be this way. I teach K-8 Instructional technology, a full job in itself. I am also in charge of all the technology in my building which grows every year, I think we are up to 150 computers. On top of that I am also the main resource for teaching my teachers about technology and providing them in-services in integrating technology into their classrooms. I don't care who you are, even if you spend 12 hours a day, there is no way to do each of these jobs to my own expectations. I get totally overwhelmed, I do the best job I can do, but I feel as if I can do better. The question is how?

I got off on a tangent, but I think my online identity will come, I just need to let it come to me. I know a lot about technology, but the key to me has been the network, using resources like twitter where I can see into the lives of people doing the same thing as me, but that are truly embracing and sharing what they do. By reading blogs, and keeping up with the new technologies out there. Then I need to get used to sharing what I am doing and the ideas I have. I had a conversation with my Professor Dr. Swan from Chestnut Hill College, and he explained probably something he read in a book about technology being like getting onto a train. People will get on the train but all at different times, and the people who got on ahead of you will stay ahead of you, but you the key thing is that you got on the train and a lot of people will be getting on the train after you.

The Key:
I am on the train, I am going forward and I am going to share what I do, and how I do it for all to see. I might falter along the way, but that is how you learn. Web 2.0 is here and our students are using it, the question is are you? If your not maybe you should, in-order to understand who we are teaching.

7 comments:

Chris Champion said...

I'd like to make a suggestion: pick a tool or idea and REALLY make it yours. In fact, you should not just do that but decide that you are going to present it at PETE&C (submissions due Sept 30). I did that very thing the Fall after attending the Keystone Summit as a teacher ( my podcasting page ) and it really helped me shuck the "master of none" title :-)

Jen Moylan said...

Give it time, Brandon. You're doing wonderful things online already and you're using web 2.0 to create meaningful connections and collaborations. I personally can't wait to be a part of your Morpheus Fortuna project. You've only just started the metaphorical rolling of the snowball. Give it time, and watch it grow!

Jen:)

Jen Moylan said...

Another thought, Brandon...Consider adding a ClustrMap http://clustrmaps.com/ or a site counter to your sites. Perhaps many people are visiting, but are not ready to comment yet....Sometimes it's motivating to know that others are at least reading what we're writing:).

Kristin Hokanson said...

Brandon--
I have this conversation with my admin all the time (only in our analogy it is a bus not a train :)

Part of moving forward is filling your bus (or train) with the right folks...Really it is not about where you are going, it is about making sure that once you get there, you have the right people with you. You are building a tremendous network in PA...continue to grow these ties. I know I for one have REALLY enjoyed my conversations with you. Keep driving!!!

Anonymous said...

Brandon, I like the suggestions other posters have made before me. I too think it's early to be fretting over this...your voice will come in its time; however, I don't think you necessarily have to limit yourself to just one thing. Find a couple things you are good at and focus on those. Bring in others who have different interests so your kids get a well-rounded education. Everything will be fine.

By the way, you've got one solid, big thing going: Morpheus Fortuna. It's brilliant. It's Flat Stanley for the 21st Century.

Don't beat yourself up my friend. You are moving in the right direction, and you are on the train/bus ahead of so many others!

Tom McGee said...

Brandon, Tom McGee here, KTI! Good stuff. I walked in your shoes! Keep the wheels turning and the fire burning my brother...Like int he field of dreams, "If you build it, they will come." Surround yourself with good people who share your drive, and absorb everything you can. Always put student learning BEFORE the tech. Most administrators will see bells and whistles- show them the learning! Bells and whistles spin the fun! Feel free to tap into my blog/wiki for resources, or just chat...anytime! peace~

Durff said...

tag things in delicious and lose no more! I do this and then when looking it is all right there, as well as everyone else's tags. Tags are just the web2.0 version of the Dewey Decimal system - a cataloging system for all the cool things!